I recently downloaded the Mandriva 2009.0 beta 2 KDE 4.1 live cd.
I kept of list of things I found as I had a look around it. I only focused on the desktop.
- Cacert.org certificate not installed on live CD :(
- Konquror missing
- Seems to have a beta Nvidia driver. Worked fine.
- 3D performance was mixed, with it not feeling as smooth as compiz fusion with KDE 3.5 does.
- Same old compiz oddities, like resizing a window when wobbly windows turned on is slow / does not redraw as it’s being resized.
- Firefox and Firefox 3 both on live CD, except, on menu, one shows as “Mozilla firefox” and one as “Firefox web browser”. It would be better to have the version number to tell the difference
- KDE4 compositing working. I selected compiz on startup, but it seems to be ignored.
- Firefox theme ugly. This really looks bad with KDE4 looking so good. I suggest that Mandriva consider installing the “kde4″ firefox theme by default, this fits the look and feel of KDE better.
- The La ora theme not on live CD, this is a pity, as the default KDE window theme, is ok, but not that nice. It can be made a lot nicer, by turning off the “Show stripes next to title”. although maybe this is just me complaining. Getting the title bar colours to be anything other than fairly boring seems to be a bit of a trick, but possible with some playing around.
- System settings not on the menu, only available from “Favorites” on the menu.
- No power management applet on in KDE
- Excellent wifi support, Wifi LED started to work, plus without any configuration, wifi just worked when I accessed the network center.
- Dolphin not my preferred tool.. So I’ll be sticking with Konqurer, however, I notice that dolphin can display icons like I prefer, what used to be called multicolumn in konqurer.
- Run command interface is nice: Noteworthy shortcuts. Ctrl - F12 to show dashboard, and Ctrl - Esc to show system activity. Also of course, the alt-f2 which is greatly improved krunner.
- sftp kio slave works well. Excellent
- man kio slave displayes manuals, but tried to open in firefox.
- fish kio slave crashed dolphin, but worked on second attempt..
- “Up” icon missing in dolphin
- Ogg not associated with amarok.
- Both the “Programs” and “Applications” kioslave’s do not show applications at second level.
- Desktop plasmoid “picture frame” does not support kio slaves. :(
Now, enough of the bullets, and a visual tour.